Shift+DEL! Hotel Technology - do we need a massive reset?
Posted on May 19
Watch this on-demand video recording from the HN world panel live TECHNOLOGY session we streamed live on Linkedin and Youtube, Wednesday, 12th May 2021.
TECHNOLOGY IN HOSPITALITY - SHIFT + DEL! Do we need a massive reset?
That's the central question the audience and host André Baljeu discussed with these panelists, who shared their views and perspective on the complexity, and fragmentation of the hotel technology space:
- Adam Harris, CEO & Founder at Cloudbeds
- Anna Sophia Stimpfl, Final-year student at EHL (2021)
- Andrew Evers, Group IT Manager at Red Carnation Hotels
- Floor Bleeker, Chief Technology Officer at Accor
- Ian Millar, Senior Lecturer Information Technology at EHL - Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne
This viewpoint provided by Ian Millar initiated the debate:
From the days of holidex, Fidelio v6 and Micros 2700 we have for the last 30 years been adding technology upon technology in hospitality. In my previous classes with my students (online), one reoccurring question was always, "why is there not one solution that can do everything". Once we discussed this more (language requirements, local fiscal reporting, support, etc.…), the students got the complexity of using software and systems to run businesses. But moving forward, future managers will want their hospitality software to behave more like WhatsApp, Instagram, or Snapchat. Download, install and work. No training or massive configuration is needed.
So, where does this leave the hospitality industry?
Do we keep going with our "Lego" approach, or do we need to say hold on, that's enough? So let's restart from scratch. What would that look like, and how could we conceivably even do that?
The HN world panel live TECHNOLOGY sessions are a joint project of Hospitality Net and techtalk.travel, and are co-hosted by André Baljeu and Henri Roelings.
Also, find these HN world panel sessions
- Hotel Technology during Crises - Does it innovate? l March 2021 with Kevin King from Shiji Group, Martin Bookallil from Marriott International, Nick Price from NetSys and Martin Soler from Soler & Associates - Video l Podcast
- Robotics in Hospitality l April 2021 with Max Starkov, Hospitality & Online Travel Tech Consultant; Kathryn Murphy, Owner at The Murphy Dublin; and Micah Green, Founder, CEO & President at Maidbot - Video l Podcast